Thursday, September 06, 2007

Pavarotti and my Dad

I didn't realize how much Luciano Pavarotti passing away would effect me, but I'm watching hos videos and crying tonight. Why? Because my dad loved the big tenor. He would have the Three Tenors CD on all the time when we'd visit. If he heard Pavarotti's voice on the radio, the conversation stopped or slowed down considerably. Dad was a tenor most of his life and I loved hearing his voice, even when it was dry and weak because of the chemo. He died 3 years ago last month.

In 2000 I had the opportunity to give dad a gift, a ticket to a concert here in Nashville, Pavarotti's first and only performance here. It was a night I'd never forget, My dad and I in the cheap seats, about 1/4 mile from the stage and loving every minute of it.

As my father lay dying, he said it was one of the highlights of his life. When I will think on my last memories her on this earth, I will remember Pavarotti in Nashville, and my father crying through Nessun Dorma.

Rest in Peace, Luciano. Thanks for the memories.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Geoff,
That is such a beautiful post. I am sorry for the pain you are feeling at Pavorotti's death, but happy for the sweet memories that it brings to you.
How are things going for you, Lorie, and David these days? I haven't talked to any of you for so long!
Love to you all,
Amanda

William said...

I was extremely touched by your post on Pavarotti. I also spent the night crying and watching Nessun Dorma over and over. I was on stage in the orchestra when you saw Pavarotti in Nashville. Like you, I didn't realize his passing would affect me the way it has. I put up a post on Nashville is Talking Thurs night as soon as I heard. He was so happy and kind to me when I met him.

Anonymous said...

Well Geoff,
Tears are streaming down my face as I read your heartfelt post, truly the most sincere I have found on the internet tonight about The Maestro. Bravo to you and the loving gift you gave your father. There are 2 tenors singing together tonight in heaven.